Things you can you do
As a parent, you are responsible for your child’s eyecare. Naturally, you hold your child’s best interests at heart and we support your endeavour to prevent any longterm damage to their sight. At Brady’s, we are constantly revising our eyecare plans for children. Here are a few things you can do to aid myopia management for your child:
- Get outdoors! Studies have shown that spending 2 hours per day outside has a protective effect against myopia.
- Reduce screen time! When monitoring your child’s use of devices, increase the distance that they hold their smart phones, tablets or books from their eyes.
- Monitor their environment! Improve the lighting and ventilation in their bedroom, especially in areas where they are doing homework and reading.
- Develop an effective sleep routine! It has been proven that good sleeping patterns can reduce the rate of myopia.
- Take breaks between reading, screens, and writing! For every 20 minutes spent on one of these tasks, ensure that your child’s eyes can rest from close work by looking into the distance for 20 seconds.
- Make sure your child wears their prescription! Whether you child is more comfortable wearing glasses or contact lenses, there are options to suit everyone.
For more information on myopia management, book in with one of our opticians here at Brady’s to develop a personalised plan for you child’s eyecare.
To find out more information on childhood myopia, use the link below: